For brunch a couple of weeks ago, Chef Husband and I wanted to make an egg casserole with veggies. We took this Paleo recipe and made it decidedly un-Paleo (but possibly more delicious!) with some cheesy upgrades.
We used tomato, bell pepper, white onion, green onion, garlic, and shredded carrot, and sautéed them in a bit of olive oil on the stove before putting them in a dish to bake. I whisked the eggs with a bit of milk and poured them onto the veggies. Then I cubed about a third of an 8 oz. container of cream cheese and plopped the cubes on top. I cooked the egg dish for 20 minutes, sprinkled some shredded cheddar on top, and then baked for 10 more minutes.
I did not particularly care for the carrot in this dish, and (this will be surprising) I didn’t find that the shredded cheddar on top added anything to the taste. It was mediocre overall.
BUT, this past weekend, Chef Husband’s parents came to visit and brought with them a fresh zucchini and a container of crumbled goat cheese!
We replicated the dish, but with zucchini, orange bell pepper, onion, garlic, and grape tomatoes. And GOAT CHEESE!
It was delicious! Here’s the recipe.
Assorted chopped veggies
Crumbled goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop veggies and sauté in a bit of olive oil. (We did not sauté the tomatoes, but we did halve them before adding them to the dish.)
3. Drain the veggies and pour them into the bottom of a round pie dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Whisk the eggs with some milk and pour them onto the veggies in the dish.
5. Sprinkle on some crumbled goat cheese.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.